View Larger Map

Our Current Voyage

Mooloolaba, QLD to Sydney, NSW to meet Jessica & Ella's Pink Lady.

Click HERE to see we are.

RESULTS

New Plymouth to Mooloolaba, Solo Trans-Tasman Challenge 2010

Click HERE for the Race Site.

Friday, April 9, 2010

The moods of the Tasman

Wednesday afternoon - the wind lightens and through the night as well, not conditions for fast sailing but very pleasant. Thursday morning saw the wind pick up and some fast reaching, BWR was flying along till about lunch time when the tack (where the sail attaches to the bowsprit) of the big reaching sail blew apart. Bugger, I thought, I now have a huge sail I couldn’t roll away to get down. So 30 minutes later after a big wrestling match on the front nets I got it down. By then the wind angle had changed so it was up with the jib and off again on a tight reach just smokin’ along.
Then another change of wind in the evening to 30 knots NW just where I want to go so I had that for a few hours. Then a big rain squall that had been chasing me finely got to me. Thunder, lightning, pouring rain, the works and that really stuffed up the wind. Daylight saw a change to the WNW, about 10 -15 knots, still not great but sort of making some progress towards the finish line. The wind is meant to be SW by now, it would help a lot. But at least the sun is out today and things are drying out.
So you see the Tasman is for ever changing its mood and is always out to challenge you, so you just have to put up with it and get on with the job.

Bruce

1 comment:

  1. That's what happens when you change the tee shirt. I'm not sure that the wind to get you 180.1 nm in the next couple of hours for the record is what I'd wish for anyone, so "next time" then. Cheers, Cath Watson

    ReplyDelete